The New Nexus 7 is upon us. With significantly updated specs compared to last year’s model and an appealing price point, along with Android 4.3, it’s going to be difficult to say no to this new gadget. Since many of you have already received their New Nexus 7 — or Nexus 7 FHD as Amazon is calling it — or have ordered it and are waiting patiently for the delivery truck, here are our best articles that should help you prepare before the arrival of your shiny new toy and fill it up with interesting content after it’s in your hands.
There are thousands of apps and ideas to try so you have your work cut out for you. We’ll also keep this list updated with any new content we publish later, so bookmark this page, come back to it later, and share it with friends.
- 20+ Favorite Accessories for Android Devices: this compilation is geared towards phones and tablets, and you’ll find a lot of helpful suggestions for your Nexus 7. A cheap universal stand, storage expansion ideas (despite the lack of a MicroSD slot), portable battery chargers, an intriguing stylus and brush, a nice gadget bag and several audio accessories.
Wallpapers and Customization
- 50 Beautiful HD Wallpapers: a list of wallpapers sized 2160×1920 and above that should look gorgeous on your new HD display. Also contains links to several HD wallpaper sources.
- 40 Minimalist and Customisable Widgets: whether you’re new to Android or a veteran of the platform, finding clean and customizable widgets is always a challenge. This article should help.
- 30+ Modern Android Launchers & Homescreen Replacements: your Nexus 7 ships with a very decent launcher. But if you want more customization, we suggest you try one of these.
- How to Set Up Your Android Launcher: so you got one of the launchers above but you’re overwhelmed by the options? We explain most of them.
- How to Use and Sync Android With Windows, Mac and iOS: whether you have a Windows or a Mac computer, or you use an iPhone or iPad along with your New Nexus 7, this series of articles explores all the possibilities for syncing your devices with Android.
- How to Remove Picasa Albums From Your Gallery: at one point, you might get annoyed of those pesky Picasa albums showing up in your Gallery. We have a solution for you.
- What Are NFC Tags and How Do You Use Them? your Nexus 7 supports NFC. If you don’t know what that means or what you can do with it, we offer a nice explanation.
- What Is Daydream and How Do You Use It? Android supports an option called “Daydream” since Jelly Bean 4.2. Here’s what you can do with it. Bonus: more Daydream compatible apps.
- The Best Ways to Use DashClock and Its Extensions: a nice tutorial for DashClock, an awesome lockscreen widget (supported since Jelly Bean 4.2 as well) that you can customize to a great extent.
- 50 Deeply Addictive Android Games: aimed at phones, but compatible with most tablets, this list contains 50 of the best (and sometimes least known) Android games. Don’t blame us for losing your productivity!
- 15 Awesome Holo-Inspired Games: loving Holo? So are we! This is a compilation of vibrant and clean games that will simply feel at home on your Nexus 7.
- 12 Old-School Point-and-Click Adventure Games: maybe you’re looking for a touch of retro? Curated by our resident gaming connoisseur, this list of games should keep you entertained, the old-school way.
While Google’s emphasis on the importance of tablet-optimized apps is only recent, we have been championing the hidden gems of the Play Store for a long time. Below, you will find a list of our best tablet app round-ups. We’ll be sure to publish more later on, but these should keep you occupied for now.
- 50 Must-Have Applications For Android Tablets: an almost 1 year-old article, yet full of interesting and still relevant apps.
- 10 Android Tablet Apps You Won’t Find on iPad: Android’s openness allows for certain categories of apps that simply can not exist on iOS. Here are 10 of them.
- 40 News Apps For Android Tablets if you want to stay in the loop with local, global, or specific news.
- Replacement Browsers for Android Tablets in case Chrome doesn’t suit you well.
- 10 Tablet Optimized Apps for Students: want to organize your schedules or learn new things? Get started here.
- 10 Gorgeous Personal Finance Apps for Tablets: you just splurged on a Nexus 7 so you obviously need to keep a close eye on your budget, and these apps should help.
- Finding Your Type: The Best Android Keyboards for phones mostly, but with a few great suggestions for tablets as well.
Fun and Lifestyle
- Five Cookery Apps for Your Android Tablet because it’s much cooler to follow a recipe on a tablet than in a book!
- Ten Social Apps for Android Tablets the official Facebook and Twitter clients still aren’t optimized for tablets, but these 10 apps are.
- 10 Multimedia Apps For Android Tablets: media consumption at its best.
- The Best Galleries and Photo Browsers for Tablets: ditto.
- The Best Photo Editors for Android Tablets: now we’re onto editing, and a tablet really lends itself well to photo manipulation. Enjoy!
- 10 Great Music Apps for Tablets: you won’t put your Nexus 7 in your pocket and go for a jog, but you might want to use it for music at your desk. These apps are perfect for that.
More Apps on my Playboard Channels
I have personally been curating Android tablet-optimized apps for over a year on Playboard. Every time I run across an interesting app with a nice tablet-friendly design, I add it to the appropriate channel and thus these are always up-to-date and always flourishing with new content. If you use Playboard, you can follow them, but if you don’t — you’re making a mistake because it’s an awesome Android app and game curation service — you can bookmark the links and check them regularly for new app suggestions.
- Best Lifestyle Tablet Apps: travel, cooking, sports, and more.
- Best Multimedia Tablet Apps: video, audio, music, and drawing.
- Best Office Tablet Apps: notes, tasks, calendars, documents, finances, and so on.
- Best Reading Tablet Apps: news, books, comics, mangas.
- Best Social Tablet Apps: Twitter, Facebook, Reddit clients, contact management apps and more.
- Best Tablet Apps for Kids: for toddlers and kids, a list of reading, drawing, coloring and learning apps.
- Best Tablet Apps to Study & Learn: math, science, chemistry, languages, course and class management… everything a student needs.
- Best Tablet Utilities: file managers, keyboards, browsers, launchers, calculators, converters, widgets and more.
Did you order or receive a New Nexus 7? Have a nifty app, game or accessory recommendation, or a useful tip? Leave a comment below.